Tuesday, October 16, 2012

The Telephone

One night, my husband and I  were sitting on the couch talking and watching a show on the television.  Son #2 toddled toward us with his toy phone.  He wanted our attention so he fussed and tossed the toy phone onto my lap.

I picked up the phone, put it to my ear, and said.  "Hello, hello?  Oh hi!  How are you?  Oh, you want to talk to Son #2.  Hang on a second."

I put the phone next to our little baby's ear and pressed the talk button.  The toy phone chirped.  "Hello?"

Son #2's eyes grew wide and he smiled with delight.  Then, he began to babble to the tiny voice inside the phone.

When he was through, he handed the phone back to me.  I placed the phone on my ear and chatted to my imaginary friend.  "Uh huh.  Oh really.  That is so interesting.  Uh huh.  Uh huh.  Oh, you want to talk to Son #2 again.  O.k.  Here he is."

Son #2 leaned his head toward the phone and listened.  The phone announced.  "Let's sing!"

I pressed the button on the phone again and the tiny voice in the phone sang the ABC song.  Son #2 was thrilled.  He clapped his hands and babbled to his new found friend.  I pressed the button once more and the phone said.  "Love you!"

Son #2 replied in baby talk.  "I love you, too."

We love you, too Little Goo!

No comments:

Post a Comment