Saturday, June 29, 2013

The Runner

Lately, Son #1 really likes his privacy.  When he was a toddler, I naturally helped him bathe.  Now that he is six, he prefers to wash his hair and body independently.  I'm grateful because it is one less thing that I have to do.

This morning's shower time was like any of the other times.  I called out.  "Son, it's time for your shower!"

Son #1 complained.  "I don't want to take a shower!"  Why little boys prefer to stink...I'll never know.

I walked over to my eldest son and pretended to sniff his arm pits.  "Eww!  You're stinky!  Man you smell rotten!"  I teased.

Son #1 giggled and pulled the green blanket over his head.  A muffled voice shot back defiantly.  "I DON'T WANT to take a shower!"

A little irritated, I threatened.  "Fine.  If you don't take a shower, I won't let you ride your bike this evening."

"What?!  I want to ride my bike tonight!"  Son #1 yelled as he shot over to the restroom and slammed the door shut.

"THEN, TAKE A SHOWER!"  I emphasized.

I walked into the restroom and got the shower going.  Son #1 asked.  "Mom, can you go out?  I need some privacy."

"OK."  I obliged.

A minute or two passed and then the bathroom door opened.  Like a streak of lightening, my naked six year old sprinted around the house shouting.  "YOU'VE GOT A RUNNER!!!!!"

I rolled my eyes and laughed.  Then, I chased him around the house crying out.  "You'd better hurry and get to the shower before I catch you!" 

Son #1 bounded over toys and furniture on his scamper back to the restroom.  Shrieks of laughter could be heard from my silly little son as he scrambled behind the shower curtain.  "I beat you!"  He gasped, a little out of breath.

"You're lucky."  I stated with a smirk on my face.  I handed him the shampoo and soap.  "Hurry and wash up.  Do you want me to close the door?"  I asked.

"Yes."  Son #1 said in a matter-of-fact tone.  "I need my privacy."

"Sure.  No problem."  I said and shut the bathroom door.  I sighed and then giggled to myself.  With Son #1, it's all about privacy until there's a runner!

No comments:

Post a Comment