Sunday, August 4, 2013

Fishing in the Creek

One sultry afternoon,  our little family and extended family members had a picnic in the local botanical garden.  A vast spread of vegetables, fruits, burritos, sandwiches, and random junk food covered our little picnic table.  The kids' greedy eyes were as wide as saucers.  They immediately began to beg for food.  I dished the delightful treats onto their plates.  My boys scarfed their food like ravenous little wolves and then wrangled their Tia (Aunt) away from her food to play with the ball. 

The afternoon passed lazily.  Son #1 and Son #2 were dripping in sweat when they finished their game.  Soon, they were fishing out cold water bottles from the ice chest.  While the adults talked, they ran up and down a little hill.  Then, they discovered the creek.  I had my eye on them as they disappeared behind the trees that shaded the little creek winding through the garden.  I got up from my chair and quickly followed them.  What were my little rascals going to do?

As soon as I rounded the grove of trees, I saw my boys gazing with wonder as the creek trickled across the small rocks.  The kids looked hot so I motioned them to follow me.  I sat down on a rock, took off my shoes, and stuck my feet into the cool water.  It felt so good.  The boys flashed me huge smiles and did the same thing.  At first, they stuck their toes into the water.  Then, they splashed about while poking at rocks with a stick.

All of a sudden, Son #1 decided he was going to pretend like he was fishing.  He grabbed a stick and sat on a rock waiting for the invisible fish.  Son #2 had to do what his brother was doing so he found a stick as well.  Then, he plopped himself down beside his brother and began to imitate his actions.  I chuckled to myself.  Sometimes, they really are a miniature version of Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn.






No comments:

Post a Comment