Sunday, August 25, 2013

The Unattended TV

This afternoon, I sat down on my bed and watched a sitcom while folding the laundry.  Son #1 and Son #2 were playing in their rooms with their trains.  My husband was outside watering the lawn.  Silence permeated every corner of the house.  The tranquility was unbelievable.  I diligently folded the clean clothes while laughing at the ridiculousness on TV. 

Once folded, I delivered the neat piles of clothing to each room.  I quietly tucked the stacks of shirts and shorts into their drawers.  Then, I tiptoed out of the rooms careful not to disturb their peaceful games.  When the clothes were put away, I wandered outside of the house and chatted with my husband.

Time passed while we breezily talked about the minor events of our day.  It was hot outside so I decided to go back in the house.  When I walked into the entry way, I saw Son #2 riding his tricycle through the living room.  He chattered and giggled joyfully as he rounded the corner to the kitchen.  I smiled at my youngest son and then looked around for Son #1. 

Where could he be hiding?

I checked in his room.  He wasn't there.

I checked in Son #2's room.  He wasn't there.

I checked in my husband's office.  He wasn't there either.

Then, I heard canned laughter emanating from my bedroom.  Could he be in there?  I strolled to my room and stood at the door.  Son #1 was sprawled on my bed watching an episode of The Big Bang Theory.

I asked.  "What are you doing in here?"

Son #1 turned away from the show and answered.  "I'm watching The Big Bang Theory."

I wrinkled my brow.  "Why?"

Son #1 responded.  "Well, this show has a lot of bad words and I'm watching it so I will know what I shouldn't say."

"Get out of my room!"  I said in mock irritation.

Of all the things I wanted my son to learn today, bad words from a TV show was not one of them.


No comments:

Post a Comment