Saturday, May 4, 2013

Respect

One day, my husband and eldest son were discussing respect and obedience.  My husband explained to Son #1 that we should respect God first and then our parents.  They were delving into the finer points of listening, obeying, and showing respect when my husband decided to check Son #1's understanding of the subject.

My husband turned to Son #1 and asked.  "So, who do you respect first?"

Son #1 thoughtfully put his hand to his face and tapped his cheek.  His eyes brightened and he replied.  "The Cowboys!"

My husband and I rolled our eyes simultaneously.  Had our oldest child listened to anything that was being said??

With a hint of amusement in his voice, my husband said.  "Nice one, Son.  However, that is not the right answer.  Who are you supposed to respect first?  What have we been talking about?"

Son #1 pondered the question for a moment and said.  "Oh, God's first."

"Yes!"  My husband replied.  "Next, you respect your parents.  THEN, you can respect the Cowboys."

"Alright!"  Son #1 shouted with joy.

Good grief.

No comments:

Post a Comment