Wednesday, June 27, 2012

A Morning at the Lake

Early one morning, the boys woke us up, we threw on bathing suits, loaded the car with gear, and went down to the lake.  Did we even eat breakfast?  The only one lucky enough to have extra food available was Son #2.  Son #1 had an apple, I had a pear, and my husband drank some coffee.  We did bring water and Dr. Pepper though.

The drive down to the lake was fantastic.  My husband and I talked while the boys looked around excitedly and played with the dog.  Son #1 would interject comments into our conversation and Son #2 would babble as if he too had something to say.

When we arrived at the lake, we chose a covered picnic table close to the shore.  Son #1 whooped and hollered as he streaked like lightening out of our car.  I carried Son #2 and helped my husband unload the car and the dog.  We secured our two wiggly boys into their life jackets and then jumped into the lake.  Man, we had fun!

While in the water, Son #1 practiced his swimming strokes and kicks.  Periodically, he would try to go underwater and when we weren't paying attention he would splash at us.  My husband and I would get him back, though.

We held Son #2 in the water and he got to experience playing in the lake for the first time in his life.  He really enjoyed it.  Son #2 splashed and kicked exploring the shiny and cool water.  My husband placed our baby on his stomach and helped him paddle around.

Even the dog swam around the in the shallow water after we dragged him in several times.  We had to reassure our pitiful pup that it was ok and that all he had to do was kick all four legs to keep his snout above water.  He didn't believe us but tried it anyway.  Son #1 got involved in the doggy swimming lessons even though we warned him not to get to close.  Doggy claws swimming in water can really hurt when they get to close to your legs.

A few hours into our day at the lake, Son #2 had had enough and settled down to eat.  Son #1, however continued to splash and swim.  He and his dad raced several times.  Then he and I shot cool pictures of dragonflies on reeds.  Once Son #2 finished his bottle, my husband and I took turns loading up the car.  We commented on how peaceful our morning at the lake had been.  Then, we called out to Son #1 still playing in the lake.  "Baby, its time to go!"

From the shore's edge, a little voice shouted.  "I DON'T WANT TO GO!"

Calmly, we countered.  "We're going to have lunch with Abuelita (Grandma) and your Tios and Tia (Uncles and Aunt)."  We confidently thought he would be really excited upon hearing about our lunch plans.


Huh!  That was strange.  Usually, when we talk about eating with Abuelita he is the first one out the door to the car.  Alright, time for Plan B.  My husband walked down to the lake and quietly but sternly spoke to Son #1.  I couldn't hear the conversation but I could tell by body language that Son #1 was not being given a choice about getting his little rear out of the water and into the car.

Fast forward to the restaurant with Abuelita, the Tios and the Tia.

We had just finished a nice meal and were enjoying the conversation.  Son #1 turned to Abuelita and asked.  "Can I go to your house?"

Five year olds are odd and fickle little creatures.

No comments:

Post a Comment