Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Corn Heaven

Last night, we grilled corn on the cob.  The weather was sunny with a cool yet balmy breeze typical of a late evening in our region of the country.  The sun was setting as we ate the succulent roasted corn and talked about our war on the weeds in the backyard.

Son #1's face registered delight every time he would bite into his corn.  His eyelids would close partially and a satisfied smile would appear.  Corn on the cob is one of his favorite vegetables.  When we grill it, he just can't seem to get enough. 

As he nibbled that last kernels off of the cob, he looked around to see if there were any extras.  There on the grill sat my husband's corn.  It had yet to be eaten and the temptation was too great for Son #1.  He shyly asked.  "Can I have another corn?"

I responded.  "Oh no!  There's no more.  The last one is for your dad."

Knowing that corn happens to be Son #1's little joys in life, my husband quickly joined the conversation.  "It's OK.  He can have it.  I don't mind." 

My husband is so sweet to his little boys.

Son #1 joyfully replied.  "Hurray!" 

He ran to his seat to get his plate and then waited for me to unwrap his corn.  Slowly, he took a bite and savored the rich flavor.  His eyes closed as he stated to those around him.  "I'm in CORN HEAVEN!"

No comments:

Post a Comment