Saturday, December 27, 2014

You Should Ask Your Doctor

One lazy Sunday afternoon, our little family lay strewn across the sofa, recliner and living room floor.  The kids played with their cars on the carpet as my husband and I watched the Cowboys play the Colts.  At one point during the game a commercial bounced across the television screen advertising the benefits of a certain medicine.  Flowers floated through the meadow as soothing music played in the background.  A dog leaped at a Frisbee as his owner jogged toward the pet in slow motion.  Happy couples strolled hand in hand as the name of the medicine floated across the screen.  While one of the amorous couples snuggled on a bench, a soft voice quickly read over the possible side effects.

"This medication can cause night sweats, high blood pressure, bladder issues, and gall stones.  It can also cause rashes, blindness, loss of hair, toe nail fungus, an occurrence of cancer, heart palpitations, and shortness of breath.  Be aware that in some cases, gangrene, loss of hearing, psychosis, renal failure, and warts occur.  In extreme cases, paralysis and death occur.  You should ask your doctor if you think this medicine is right for you."  The soft voice said soothingly.

My husband and I eyeballed the television screen.  I smirked.  "I think I should get a prescription for that medicine."

"Sounds like a plan."  My husband replied sarcastically.  Then, he grimaced as he stood up from the recliner.  "Man, I'm hurting.  I need to take something."  My husband said as he headed for the medicine cabinet. 

At the cabinet, he gazed at the aspirin, naproxen sodium, and ibuprofen.  He called out.  "I don't know if I should take the Tylenol or the Aleve."

I shrugged my shoulders and said.  "I don't know."

However, Son #1 looked up from his game of cars and without missing a beat he suggested.  "You should ask your doctor."

No comments:

Post a Comment