Friday, December 26, 2014

Bomit (Vomit)

One afternoon, Son #1 and I sat at the kitchen table working on his homework.  The sunlight streamed in through the blinds of the window as the Christmas tree lights twinkled in the living room.  I stood up and took my oldest son's lunch box to the kitchen sink.  There, I began to rinse out the empty containers.

"Did you like your lunch today?"  I asked.

"Yeah!"  Son #1 replied as he worked his way through a math assignment.

"Did you eat all your spaghetti?" I questioned him as I began to load the rinsed Tupperware into the dishwasher.

"Oh yeah!"  Son #1 smiled.  "It was really good."

"Oh good."  I said.  "Did you eat your orange?"

"Yes Mom."  Son #1 answered seriously.

"What about your broccoli?"  I asked.  Broccoli is Son #1's favorite vegetable.  He can eat it like candy.

"Oh yeah!  It was delicious!"  Son #1 exclaimed.  Then, he added.  "Do you know what my friend said at lunch?"

"No.  What did he say?"  I responded.

"My friend said that he doesn't like broccoli."  Son #1 reported, shocked that anyone would feel that way.

"Your friend doesn't know what he's missing.  Broccoli is awesome."  I assured my oldest son.

"Yeah!"  Son #1 cried.  "Do you know what else he said?"

"No."  I answered.  "Tell me."

"He said that broccoli makes him bomit."  Son #1 looked at me with a grin.

"Huh?"  I squinted my eyes and made a face.  "What is bomit?"

"You know."  Son #1 explained.  "Like throw up."

"Oh!  You mean vomit.  V-v-v-vomit."  I laughed.

"No.  My friend said bomit with a B."  Son #1 replied in a business like manner.

"Are you sure?"  I asked trying to conceal a smirk.

"Yes Mom."  Son #1 said as he continued on with his homework.

"I think your friend might be mispronouncing the word."  I countered.

Eventually, I did convince my oldest son that vomit was spelled with a V and not a B.  However, I had to prove it to him by pulling up an online dictionary and having him confirm the spelling with my husband.

No comments:

Post a Comment