Friday, February 15, 2013

The Fort

One afternoon, my two little boys were crabby and bored.  They wanted something to do but did not want to play the usual things.  After listening to oldest one complain for a bit, I came up with a great idea. 

I said to my oldest boy.  "Let's build a fort!"

Son #1 immediately jumped up and down with glee.  He shouted.  "That's a great idea, Mama!  We need some blankets!"

I grabbed several blankets from their rooms and tossed them over the couch.  Son #1 yelled for toys as Son #2 ran around the living room shrieking with excitement.  Pillows were placed underneath the billowy blankets.  The boys crawled into their fort and immediately began to examine their surroundings.

While the kids played in their fort, I busied myself around the house.  Midway through the cleaning and cooking, I noticed that the house had become serenely quiet.  I thought to myself.  "This does not seem right.  It's always noisy in this house.  I wonder what the boys are doing."

Visions of mayhem danced through my head as I peeked into the fort.  What I saw next was a pleasant surprise.  Inside, Son #1 was reading a book and curled up on my green blanket.  Son #2 was quietly investigating a musical toy.  They smiled sweetly at me as I looked in at them.  Moments like these are absolutely amazing.





No comments:

Post a Comment