Monday, February 3, 2014

The Training Wheels

I recently bought a used bike for $10.00.  This bike will come in handy considering that I work close to home.  However, it has been twenty plus years since I have ridden a bike.  I wanted to practice riding around the neighborhood before I began to ride to work regularly.  

The other day, my oldest son came home from school shrieking with excitement.  "I got all my home work done!"  I smiled proudly and congratulated Son #1.  Son #1 and I have an agreement about completing assignments at school.  If he does not bring home any homework, we will get to do something fun after school.  Son #1 remembered our agreement and asked anxiously.  "What are we going to do today?"

I paused for a moment and then thought about the bike.  It would be fun to go riding and it was a beautiful day.  "Let's go for a bike ride!"  I suggested.

Son #1 shouted.  "I want to bring my roller blades!"  Then, he ran to his room to put on his gear.

Son #2 toddled up to me and mumbled.  "I wan lollo bades!"  (Translation:  I want my roller blades, too.  Explanation:  Son #2 got roller blades for Christmas from Abuelita - Grandma.  He is quite good at rolling around on the carpet.)

I ignored Son #2's comment but exclaimed.  "Oh, wow!  We get to go for a ride!  Let's get our shoe, shoes."

While I got our youngest son ready, my husband prepared the stroller.  Son #1 flew out of his room with his gear on and headed for the garage.  I bustled Son #2 over to his stroller and buckled him into it.  My husband threw on his roller blades.  I grabbed my bike.  We were ready for our ride around the neighborhood.

As my husband opened the garage door, Son #1 came over to my bike.  He asked.  "Mom, do you know how to ride a bike?"

"Sure, I do."  I replied.  "It's just been a long time since I've ridden one."

Son #1 analyzed my bike and then commented.  "The bike's going to be hard, Mom.  You need to be careful."

"I'll be careful.  You don't need to worry."  I assured my eldest son.

"No really, Mom."  Son #1 reiterated.  "You need to be careful because you don't have training wheels like I did on my bike."

"Am I really going to need training wheels after not riding a bike for twenty-some-odd years???Thought the over confident mom of two.

Apparently, training wheels might have come in handy.  I managed to scrape my leg against the peddle and drop the bike as we came to the first stop sign.  

No comments:

Post a Comment