Sunday, January 12, 2014

The Discussion

Son #1 was in his dad's office using his vivid imagination to describe one of his exciting adventures with his play sword.  He jabbed and parried at his invisible opponent all the while shouting out the details of his story.  My husband was on the computer mixing a song and half listening to his eldest son. 

I could hear the conversation across the house but the details were still a bit sketchy.  I laughed and decided to ignore the raucous in my husband's sanctuary.  He and I value the little bits of peace that we manage to scrape together throughout the day. 

Son #1 laughed out in wonder and leaped out with his sword.  He spun around to block incoming danger. 

Clash!

Clang!

Crash!

"Ha ha!"  Son #1 shouted.

"Mmm hmm."  My husband grunted.

I giggled.  Only Son #1 could accurately describe the complex story in his daydream.  I realized that I needed to tell my husband something so I walked toward his office.  As I neared the door, I heard Son #1 scream.  "Then, I'll cut off his head!"

I closed my eyes and shook my head.  If anyone else had walked in on that statement without the back story, they would have assumed terrible things about our parenting skills.  Here's to the crazy things kids say and their incredibly vivid imaginations.

No comments:

Post a Comment