Monday, January 19, 2015

I Scared

It was a cold wintry day.  I bundled up for work in my thick, dressy coat.  I also accessorized with a matching scarf, ski head band, and a pair of neutral Isotoner gloves.  The biting wind had no chance of going through my clothes that day.  Opening the door carefully, I tiptoed out of the house to my car.  My husband and children were still asleep.  I wanted them to stay asleep as long as possible before facing the icy day.

When my work was complete, I threw on my winter apparel and headed out the door to find my car in the parking lot.  My car was miserably cold as I sat inside.  I could not wait to get to my warm home.  A short time later, I pulled into the driveway and turned off the engine.  I eased the car door open and then sprinted for the front door.  As I put the house key into the lock, I heard a little voice on the other side of the door.

"I open the door!"  The little voice shouted.

I sighed and closed my eyes.  "Hurry."  I called out.  "I'm cold."

Son #2 fiddled with the lock on the other side of the door.  He unlocked the bottom knob.  Then, he reached for the deadbolt.  I jumped up and down hoping to stay as warm as possible.  "Are you almost done?"  I asked trying to stay patient.

"No."  Came the little voice from the other side of the door.  "Hold on."  Son #2 stretched and pushed on the deadbolt.  Slowly ever so slowly, it unlocked.  Then, Son #2 began to twist the bottom knob.  He struggled to turn and pull the door open.  I tried to lightly turn the doorknob and help the little guy out.  From inside the house, my  youngest Son cried.  "Stop it, Mommy!  I do it!"

Patience.  

Breathe Deeply.  

"Let me help you."  I cajoled.

Son #2 caved.  "Alright, Mommy."

I helped him turn the doorknob and then I quickly stepped into the entryway.  It was blissfully warm inside the house.  Son #2 hugged my knees as I bent down to give him a kiss on the head.  "Hi Baby!"  I said cheerfully.  "How are you?"  Slowly, I knelt down and held my gloved hands out to give him a hug.  Son #2 started to run into my arms but suddenly stopped.  His eyes grew wide as he gazed at my hands.  My little baby backed away slightly shaking.

"What's wrong?"  I asked.

"I scared."  Son #2 replied pointing at my hands.

I looked at my hands in confusion.  There were gloves on them.  Could he be scared of the gloves?  It's not every day that I needed a pair of gloves to go outside.  I peered into his eyes and questioned my young child.  "Are you scared of the gloves?"

"Yes.  I scared."  Son #2 responded.  He still would not come near my hands.  Finally, I removed the gloves and put them in my purse.  I held out my hands so Son #2 could inspect them.

"See."  I assured him.  "There are no gloves on my hands."  Then, I held out my hands once more and asked for a hug.  Son #2 ran into my arms.  We snuggled and gave kisses.  My hands were not scary anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment