Saturday, September 8, 2012

A Letter to the Principal

Son #1's principal has a mail box near her office so the children can write to her.  Son #1 was fascinated with the mail box and asked about it.  I explained that he could write a letter to the principal and place it in the mail box.  He decided right then and there that he would write her a letter.

At home, Son #1 dug out paper, crayons, glue and scissors.  He chatted while he created his letter and stamp.  Then he grew silent as he concentrated on his writing and coloring.  I cooked supper and played with Son #2.  After a while, I heard Son #1's little voice.  "Mama, can you help me with the stamp?"

I replied.  "Hang on a second."  Then, I walked into the kitchen and asked.  "What do you need?"

He held a little stamp up in the air and said.  "I don't know how to stick it onto the letter."

"Oh, let me get the glue.  I'll help you."  I assured him.  I opened the glue and then placed a dot on a corner of his letter.  He carefully lay the stamp on top of the glue.  Then, we left the letter and stamp on the table to dry.

The next day, he proudly carried his letter to the mail box and placed it inside.  With a smile on his face, he went to class. 

After school was done, he saw his principal and said in a small but sure voice.  "Principal.  Principal.  There's a letter in your mail box."

She smiled and replied.  "Oh really!  I'm so excited!  This is my first letter this year."

Son #1 watched as she retrieved the letter from the box and then she said.  "I can't wait to read your letter."  Son #1 was very excited and talked of nothing else all the way home.  

The following day, Son #1 received a letter from the principal thanking him for her very first letter and complementing him on his stamp.  I read the letter to him.  His face beamed with pride and he hugged the letter to his chest.  Then he said.  "I'm going to keep my letter forever!"

No comments:

Post a Comment