Saturday, July 13, 2013

Dadi's Ba


The other evening, we ran out of soy milk for Son #2's sippy cup.  Son #2 was devastated and immediately requested that we get more in his own little language.  "My ba.  Want ba.  Ba ba."  (Translation:  Son #2 currently uses the word "ba" for milk.  Previously, he used the word "ba" for bottle.)

I explained to Son #2.  "Baby, we need to go to the store and get more milk for your sippy cup.  I'm so sorry.  Let's get ready to go bye bye."

I had the boys scurry to get their socks and shoes.  Son #2 needed to use the potty before leaving the house.  Son #1 dawdled around in the living room instead of putting on his socks and shoes.  We had decided to take the whole gang to the grocery store.  Evidently, it was going to take us the usual thirty minutes to get out of the house.

While all this was going on, my husband decided to set up the coffee maker.  We were also out of creamer so now we had two important items to procure at the store.  Son #2 heard the familiar sounds of the coffee maker and ran into the kitchen.  His eyes grew wide as he watched the preparations.  Then, his little hands reached for the air as he announced his intentions.  "Up?  Want up?"

My husband commented.  "Pick him up.  He likes to watch me make coffee.  I let him watch all the time."

"Alright."  I said nonchalantly.

I reached down and lifted my little baby up into my arms.  Son #2 leaned hard to investigate the coffee maker and its contents.  His face showed a mixture of interest and awe.  Making coffee can be so fun.  After assessing the coffee maker and ground coffee, Son #2 straightened up and stated in a matter-of-fact tone.  "Dadi's ba."

I smiled at my husband mischievously.  My husband suppressed his laughter.  I giggled quietly and then agreed with Son #2's statement.  "You're right.  That is your Daddy's ba." 

No comments:

Post a Comment